Riverlabs is a new and exciting 28 acre life sciences campus, ideally situated at the centre of the ‘Golden Triangle’ in Ware, Hertfordshire. 440,000 sq ft (GIA) will be available in three phases. Riverlabs is:
• The most affordable, existing, purpose-built R&D space in the ‘Golden Triangle’. An intelligent refresh will transform existing labs into a modern, welcoming and sustainable working environment with staff wellbeing at its heart.
• Available now
Riverlabs 1 provides 141,423 sq ft (GIA) of ready-built, affordable, wet laboratory and write-up space.
Riverlabs 2 provides 219,900 sq ft (GIA) of ready-built, affordable, wet laboratory and write-up space.
• Set within a unique, open campus environment enjoying natural waterfront to the River Lea. 15 acres of open green space plus sports club, tennis courts, cricket pitch, five-a-side football, access to water-based activities, river walks and nature on the doorstep.
• Perfectly positioned in an established life sciences ecosystem. Home to GSK for 50+ years, and within a 45-minute radius of major life science clusters in London, Cambridge and Stevenage, providing a huge pool of life sciences talent to recruit from.
Riverlabs 1 comprises 141,423 sq ft (GIA) of fitted wet laboratory and write up accommodation across four floors. Previously occupied by GSK, the accommodation will be extensively refurbished to suit tenant needs with the benefit of existing high-quality equipment, including ducted fume cupboard provision. This space addresses the urgent need for fitted space within the ‘Golden Triangle’.
There is plenty of on-site parking available providing a ratio of 1:375 sq ft (NIA), with 200 spaces immediately available for Riverlabs 1.
CGIs: Proposed enhancements as part of Riverlabs 1.Download Riverlabs 1 Technical Specification & Floor Plans
Riverlabs 2, commissioned in 2013, will comprise 219,900 sq ft (GIA) of wet laboratory and write up space over three floors. The first floor is existing fully-fitted flex-labs. The remainder of the building will be refurbished to the latest industry standards, targeting 75% carbon saving versus a new build. The labs are suitable for use from CL2 to CL4 with a maximum 30 air changes per hour. Riverlabs 2 has 400 dedicated car parking spaces – ratio c.1:375 (NIA).
CGIs: Proposed enhancements as part of Riverlabs 2.Download Riverlabs 2 Technical Specification & Floor Plans
Riverlabs has an exciting future delivering a c440,000 sq ft (GIA) of affordable laboratory space, which will be realised in three phases. The proposed development programme is looking to:
• Create an exemplar in sustainable development, targeting 75%+ carbon savings, via the retro use of existing buildings, de-carbonisation of existing operational M&E to full electricity and the provisioning of integrated renewables.
• Regenerate outside space to create an open-air plaza rich in natural features, meeting and social spaces to encourage a healthy lifestyle. Incorporating a permanent café, pop-up food stalls, event spaces and public art open for all on campus and the wider community to explore and enjoy.
• Deliver a light touch, intelligent retro fit redevelopment of workspaces to create open and welcoming work and communal areas full of natural light, with the outside landscaping themes brought in through extensive biophilia.
CGIs: Proposed enhancements as part of Phase 2.
Hertfordshire’s life sciences sector has been growing, with over 200 life sciences businesses now located across the county. The area is also seen as a leading location for European and UK headquarters outside London and the Western Corridor, drawn by the advantages of competitive costs, access to markets and global connectivity. There are more than 30 significant company headquarters, including GSK and Roche, in the county representing sales of more than £1billion. Hertfordshire has a significant talent pool to recruit from and is home to 33,847 scientists, 17,924 Production Operatives and 30,645 Laboratory Specialists.
Ware is an established life sciences location having been a strategic R&D location for GSK for over 50 years. Riverlabs lies within the heart of the ‘Golden Triangle’, made up of Oxford, Cambridge and London, which marks the central cluster of the UK’s life science industry.
Ware sits on the emerging Cambridge to Kings Cross life sciences Innovation Corridor within a 45 min radius of London, Cambridge and Stevenage, the established Cell and Gene Therapy cluster. This makes Riverlabs a highly desirable location for fast growing life sciences companies or contract research and manufacturing organisations wanting easy access to customers anywhere in the ‘Golden Triangle’.
Located 11 miles from Stevenage and approximately equidistant between the A1(M) and M11 motorways, Riverlabs provides excellent access to London and Cambridge.
From Riverlabs it’s a 15 minute riverside walk to the train station and 12 minutes to the historic and thriving town centre.
Town Centre: 12 minutes
Train Station: 15 minutes
A1(M): 11 miles
Stevenage: 11 miles
M25 J25 via A10: 12 miles
M11 J8: 20 miles
Cambridge: 32 miles
Oxford: 78 miles
London Liverpool Street: 45 minutes
Oxford Circus: 58 minutes
London Waterloo: 69 minutes
Stansted Airport: 16 miles
Luton Airport: 23 miles
London City Airport: 32 miles
Heathrow Airport: 42 miles
Gatwick Airport: 68 miles
Ware is a thriving, leafy, riverside market town and one of the oldest continuously occupied sites in Europe, due to its strategic location on the banks of the River Lea. Ware offers a wide selection of housing and an amazing range of local amenities: good schools, lots of independent restaurants, cafes and shops, hotels, green spaces, leisure, sports, gyms and even an outdoor lido. The Riverlabs campus is situated 700m from Ware High Street and 0.7miles from Ware Railway Station, accessed via a beautiful riverside walk along the banks of the River Lea.
Riverlabs provides a unique natural environment with its waterfront to the River Lea. Within a minute or two of the lab, staff can be strolling down the river or taking the footpaths across the King’s Mead reserve, soaking in the nature all around. Riverlabs also caters for a more active lifestyle. Within the boundaries of the campus there are 15 acres of open green space, plus a sports club, tennis courts, cricket pitch, five-a-side football and access to water-based activities, like paddle-boarding.
The vision for Riverlabs is to create an exemplar sustainable development that aligns with the UN Sustainable Development Goals and the RIBA 2030 Net Zero Climate and Bio-Diversity Challenge. By focusing on the following sustainable vision goals the campus is targeting a 75%+ overall reduction in onsite carbon emissions to create a net zero carbon campus:
Global Mutual is a European and U.S. real estate business founded in 2008 and currently managing £5billion of assets across a broad range of sectors and strategies. It has a track record in life sciences in both the UK (400,000 sq ft, 7 building Parmer Innovation Centre in Cardiff) and the US (1.8m sq ft, 20 building Parmer RTP North Carolina). To turn the vision for Riverlabs into reality, Global Mutual has assembled a world leading, life science specialist delivery team including:
• Global Mutual (Asset Manager)
• JLL (Agent)
• Creative Places (Life Sciences Agent)
• GA Consultants (Project Management)
• HOK (Architect)
• Hoare Lea (Service Engineer)
• AKT II (Structural Engineer)
• RLB (Cost Consultant)
• HGH Consulting (Planning Consultant)
• HarrisonStevens (Landscape Architect)
• Owl Safety (Health & Safety Principal Designer)
• Limewash (Marketing)